Sew for Victory is a 1940's themed sew along that is in it's second year - with many to come! It's hosted by the lovely Rochelle of Lucky Lucille and this year has ran from March until 30th April. It's open to everyone, with the only proviso that we sew a 1940's (original, reproduction or inspired) outfit during these dates.
Next year I think I'll muslin it up before the start date!
|Simplicity 4775 (1943) and Wearing History's Dahlia Blouse View A|
Daydreaming as usual, I haven't noticed that my hem's down
I do have a lovely selection of 1940's original and inspired patterns, however they're not all in my size and I do still have a wariness for tailored shirts and shirt dresses - next year I promise!
When Anne from Mercury Handmade mentioned on twitter that she was de-stashing a few vintage patterns, I jumped on a 1940 dress/jumper in my hip size.
My initial disappointment that the front bodice piece is awol (which I'd overlooked until I was laying the pieces out as the shirt pattern is included and complete) was eased by DH pointing out that I'd get much more wear out of the skirt as a separate - and he's so right ;)
I used some wonderful tips from couture seamstress A Challenging Sew for converting the dress skirt into a faced waistband, lining from the facing and inserting a waist stay.
It is lined in silk and based on these photos, I do still need to do quite a bit more pressing & moving of some topstitching.
I was still settling into a finished length when I had my photo shoot, so please politely ignore my basted hem. I will trim the pleats in the hem now that I've settled for 'on the knee'.
|Really, lets all look away from my fallen hem...|
The 1943 Simplicity pattern pieces were both notched and marked - bliss!
The instructions were also clear and appropriately illustrated, they are a joy to read.
|Wearing History Patterns|
Since becoming more aware of fit, I've been wary of fitted woven tops with long sleeves and this blouse was drafted in the late 1930s, when ease was quite different to now.
I muslined (several times) and have found a bodice and armscythe curve that really works for me - I have near full range of arm movement in this blouse! I do seem to have muslinned out some of the lovely drapieness coming from the shoulder, I'll keep that in mind when I sew up View B.
I'm also very happy with my lapped zips in both skirt and blouse - they went in smoothly (especially the blouse) and are vintage Lightening Zipps from my stash. In the spirit of Making Do and Mending - every notion & fabric came from the stash - the 2 patterns were my only new purchases.
|Lapped side zips in both blouse and skirt|
Thank You again Rochelle for all of your work and inspiration with Sew for Victory 2.0!
|Even without a dachshund I still get photobombed!|