I spent the later part of 2013 building an enviable stash (of both patterns and fabric) and am sure I'll find some pretty pieces to add to it in 2014 ;)
|It's a gorgeous photo (on film no less)|
Surely you don't want dress details as well?!
I've 'fallen off the RTW fast wagon' twice in the past 10 months, for tops each time, and strangely (no, not really!), still have the same fitting particulars in RTW that I'm muslin-ing out in my creations ;)
So, my resolution for 2014 is to replace my worn out RTW wardrobe. There's a rather sizeable list that I've created - I followed Jenny's lead and looked at which items were highest on my washing rotation.
One of the downfalls of this approach is of course that finding equivalent fabrics is near impossible - many of my RTW purchases were made on fabric choice rather than style - and the prints that I love, simply are out of fashion (except when they pop up somewhere like Emma One Sock or The Fabric Store!).
One item that's had SO much wear is a cheapo polyester maxi dress in the most awesome mix of blues - it fits without effort, has a flowing front to hide large meals, shoulders that cover bra straps and has simply gone everywhere, dressed up or down.
How fortunate that my pattern stash building threw up this 1974 wedding/day dress which is almost the exact same style ;)
|This envelope image is from the Vintage Patterns Wiki|
mine is a tad scruffier, same size though ;)
|The pattern pieces - Quite a full skirt|
|How the bodice pieces together|
|It's a maxi, really!!|
My pattern review is here
I had 3m of a featherlight, textured, black & grey knit that I'd obtained from Darn Cheap Fabrics when I made my grey Tiramisu (see, I am stash busting!!) The light weightiness of the fabric is the key to this dress flowing gracefully rather than bunching and adding kilos to my frame.
The back of the dress is quite streamlined and there is no waist seam.
I omitted the back zip as the pattern is for wovens and this is a knit. I did add some shaping into the centre back seam for my sway back.
There is no side seam under the arms, it's a side panel from behind the arms to the front armhole princess seam. The side panel is triangular in shape from the waist, providing half of the front drape.
I think I like side panels in dresses, they're messier to fit than a side seam, but the cleaner line works for my silhouette.
I also adjusted the front bodice gathering higher by approximately 3cm as the weight of the skirt pulled it down to an unattractive position.
The neckline is 'self faced' with 'own material', it's just a wide front folded under and continues as a back collar - I really like the raised back neckline and it's very comfortable - as well as reassuring me that my neck isn't getting burnt.